R-E-S-P-E-C-T

I have a great appreciation for the generosity of other authors and equally want to share with you. However, I ask that you respect that all all images, text, and any other content posted on this blog belongs to Christina Hirst, unless otherwise stated. You are welcome to link back to this blog or use a single image and description, so long as you link back to its original source. You may NOT republish posts without my permission. Also, please do not link directly to a pdf, but to the original post. I, in turn, agree to do the same. :)

Friday, August 30, 2013

Whatever Girls Challenge: Leaving A Legacy



This week's Whatever Girl challenge was for mom to write a letter to their daughters about the legacies they wanted to leave behind.  Shari Miller wrote a post "Leaving a Legacy-Being Intentional" to kick us off.

I've been procrastinating waiting all week to start my letter because the answer to "What legacy do I want to leave my daughter" was unanswered and sat awkwardly in my stomach.

I have always been intentional in the things I do with and for my daughter, usually providing explanations for her in hopes that she'd use the same rationale on future decisions.  So, you would think I would already have an articulate idea of what legacy I was trying to pass to my daughter.  Well...not so.

Thankfully the Holy Spirit spoke to me and reminded me that I have nothing without my Father.  And the only legacy worth passing down is a spiritual one.

Here is my letter to my dear daughter (who will be 11 in two weeks!):

My Dearest Rose,
 My Whatever Girls challenge as to write you a letter about the legacy I want to leave for you.
What is a legacy?  Something handed down from period of time to the next.  What better legacy could I share with you than the one God has designed for us?
As you grow into an amazing woman of God, the only lasting marks I can hope to have made are a mind set on heavenly things, a mind that isn't tied to the cares of this world, a heart molded by God to love others and open to receive love, a will that mirrors Christ's and holds steadfast to His promises, and a dedication to growing closer to God and His heart.
I hope to help inspire you to be bold in your faith and sure in God's love for you.
Galations 2.20 - I have been crucified with Christ.  It is no long I who live, but Christ who lives in me.  And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
Zephaniah 3.17 - The Lord your God is in your midst, a might one who will save; he will rejoice over you with gladness; he will quiet you by his love; he will exult over you with loud singing.
I pray that my time spent with you on this world has encouraged you to be who God has called you to be.  That you identity is not in how your mother raised you, but in Christ who saved you.
I love you Rose!  But never as much as your Savior!
Love,
Mom

What legacy do you want to leave your children?

 How do you go about leaving that legacy?

No comments:

Post a Comment